St. Mark UMC History
SIXTY YEARS OF PROGRESS
Feb 1956 - The first church conference was held and the name of St. Mark was chosen. Seventy one people attended the first worship service at Rocky Hill Elementary School.
May 1956 - The Board of Stewards approved the present church site on Northshore Drive.
Jun 1956 - Rev. John McDonald was appointed St. Mark’s first minister.
Oct 1957 - A campaign was begun for an educational building on the Northshore site.
Sep 1958 - The first worship service was held in the new education building.
Oct 1964 - The dedication service for the sanctuary was held after a year of planning and construction.
1989 - The educational building was expanded with the addition of the Robert Whorley Fellowship Hall and the Simpson Library.
1991 - The purchase of properties on the east and west side of church increased the church site to its present nine acres.
May 2005 - A new parsonage on Brooktree was purchased.
2006 - St. Mark celebrated its 50th Anniversary in a newly renovated sanctuary.
Jun 2008 - The mortgages on adjacent properties and the parsonage were paid off leaving the church debt free.
July 2013 - Master Plan for phased additions and improvements was approved.
Future . . . We look forward with excited anticipation to another 60 years of growth.